Article: Badger Flame Beet Slaw with Mustardy Dressing
Badger Flame Beet Slaw with Mustardy Dressing
- 2 pounds Badger Flame beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound crunchy veg such as celery root, carrot, fennel and/or cabbage, peeled (if necessary) and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Large handful of soft herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro or chervil), chopped
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and microplaned or minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the sliced vegetables, onion and herbs in a large bowl. To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, shallot, a big pinch of salt and a few cracks of pepper together in a medium bowl. While rapidly whisking, slowly pour in a thin stream of the olive oil to emulsify it into the dressing; alternatively, make the dressing in a blender, slowly pouring the olive oil into the other ingredients while the blender is running.
Pour some of the dressing over the vegetables, and toss the slaw together. Taste, then season with more dressing, salt and/or pepper if desired.