898 Puree and Squash Skin Crumble
Chef: Dan Barber, Blue Hill at Stone Barns
(4) 898 squash
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
Squash skin crumble (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds.
- Lay the squash halves, cut-side up, on a baking tray. Lightly drizzle or brush with the oil, and season with salt.
- Roast the squash, uncovered, in the oven for about 50 minutes, until the flesh is very tender. Remove from the oven.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh of the squash out using a spoon. Reserve the skins.
- Place the squash in a bowl and mash with a fork. Or, for a smoother texture, transfer the squash to a blender and puree. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve puree with squash skin crumble.
For the Squash Skin Crumble:
- Preheat an oven to its lowest setting—150˚F is ideal.
- Transfer the reserved roasted squash skins to a parchment-lined baking tray. Place the tray in the oven for 8-10 hours, or until the squash skins are completely dry and brittle.
- Remove tray from the oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer the dried skins into a blender or food processor and blend to a medium-fine crumble consistency. Season with salt to taste.